Setting up MobaXterm as shown below will allow you to connect to the Cluster with less keyboard inputs as well as allow use of the file transfer GUI.
- Download MobaXTerm here
- Some users have reported having issues downloading files using MobaXterm 23.6. We suggest using version 23.5 instead.
- Use the Portable Edition if you don't have administrator rights on your machine. This is the recommended way for NIWA researchers.
- Otherwise, choose freely the Portable or Installer Edition.
- To set up a session, Click 'Session' in the top left corner:
- In "SSH",
- Set the remote host to
login.mahuika.nesi.org.nzfor Mahuika users or
login.maui.nesi.org.nzfor Maui users.
- Enable the "Specify username" option and put your Username in the corresponding box.
- Set the remote host to
- In the "Advanced SSH settings"
- Set SSH-browser type to 'SCP (enhanced speed)'.
- Optionally, tick the 'Follow SSH path' button.
- In the “Network settings” tab:
- Select "SSH gateway (jump host)" to open a popup window
- In this window enter
lander.nesi.org.nzin the “Gateway host” field, as well as your NeSI username in the Username field for the gateway SSH server then select OK to close the window.
- Click 'OK' on the open window, usually this will start a new session immediately. See usage below.
There is a bug which causes some users to be repeatedly prompted <username>@lander.nesi.org.nz's password:
This can be resolved by clicking "OK" each time you are prompted then logging in as normal once you are prompted for your First Factor: or Password:.
See Login Troubleshooting for more details
You will see your saved session in the left hand panel under 'Sessions'. Double click to start.
You will be prompted by dialogue box.
Login Password (First Factor):
Enter your password.
Authenticator Code (Second Factor):
Enter your second factor six digit number (no space).
Then Mahuika users may be prompted again:
Enter your password again
Maui users will instead be prompted with:
Maui users must enter their password combined with their second factor. For example, if your password is "Password" and your current second factor is "123456" then you must enter "Password123456".
If you choose to save your password, the process will be the same minus the prompts for First Factor.
If you are using the built in credential manager you will have to make sure to delete old entries when changing your password.
After Changing Password
If you are experiencing login issues after resetting your password, it is likely due to an issue with MobaXterm saved sessions and Password management system for saved session.
Two steps to try:
- Remove any previously saved sessions either related to
mahuikafrom sessions panel on the left
- Access MobaXterm password management system as below and remove saved credentials
- Go to Settings->Configuration and go to the General tab and click on MobaXterm password management
- You will see the saved sessions for
mahuikaas well). I recommend removing all of it and restart MobaXterm before the next login attempt
Then setup a new session according to the support doc instructions as before.