Please make sure you have a suitable device with a working camera and then install the free Google Authenticator or Authy app, or another app that implements the TOTP (Time-based One Time Password) algorithm.
Connecting to the HPCs requires two-factor authentication (2FA) at all times, i.e. your password (the first factor), and an additional factor (the second factor).
These additional factors can be:
- A Time-based One Time Password provided by an external generator (e.g., via Google Authenticator on your smartphone);
- Connecting from the NIWA Network or via a NIWA VPN session.
Linking a device to your account
- Log into My NeSI via your browser and click on Accounts or refresh the page and you will see an option to "Link your mobile device"
- Click the "Setup Two-Factor Authentication device" link.
After clicking on "Continue" you will be prompted for the NeSI SSH password which you have set. Submit the password and retrieve the QR code.
- Open your Authy or Google Authenticator app and click on the add button and select "Scan a barcode".
The second-factor token
The 6 digit code displayed on your app can now be used as the second factor in the authentication process.
This code rotates every 30 seconds, and it can only be used once. This means that you can only login to the lander node once every 30 seconds.
You should now be able to proceed with logging in to the platforms.