Applying for access is a two-step process:
- Register as a NeSI user by setting up an account on My NeSI, where you will login using your institutional credentials via Tuakiri.
- Fill in a NeSI project application using the application form on the NeSI website.
What information will I need to apply for a project?
During the application process, we will ask you for the following information:
- Your name, institutional affiliation (i.e. your employer or place of study), role at your institution, and a contact telephone number and work email address
- The title of your project, and a brief abstract describing your project's goals
- The scientific domain and field of study (i.e. subdomain) your project belongs to
- The date on which you plan to start your computational work on NeSI (not the start date of the research programme as a whole, or of the research programme's current or expected funding)
- Details of how your project is funded (this will help determine whether you are eligible for an allocation from our Merit class)
- Whether you have previous HPC experience
- Whether you would like expert scientific programming support on your project
- Who else will be working on the computational parts of the project with you
- What software you intend to use on our facilities to carry out your research
You will also be given an opportunity to tell us anything else you think is relevant.
If there is any technical information we need from you, we will be in touch with our questions during our technical assessment process.
What will happen after I apply?
Your application will go through these stages:
- We start with a basic administrative check, verifying that your application is complete and that we can proceed with it as a genuine application.
- We carry out a technical assessment, to find out whether your proposed workflows are suitable for a NeSI facility and if so, which facility they are most suitable for. In rare cases, we may recommend allocations on several facilities during the same period of time. We will also come up with a suitable allocation size (i.e. a rate of use of HPC resources) on the selected facility or facilities.
- We will check to see what classes of allocation, if any, you and your project team are eligible for.
- Of the classes of allocation you could receive, we will see which classes have capacity to accommodate your allocation, and make a final choice of class. We may need to wait for a call review period before we can do this.
- If we choose an institutional allocation, we will send your request to your institution's customer representative to NeSI for final approval (unless your institution has delegated approval to us).
- Once we have received all the necessary approvals, we will enter your allocation of compute time and provision your project directories.
Once we have reviewed your application and completed our assessment process and other checks, we will inform you of the outcome. The entire process can take as long as four months or more, depending on what allocation class we select for your project and internal institutional approval processes. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application, please contact us.